Jewish Cemetery in Łódź, Poland
The Cemetery at the Bracka Street in Łódź was established in 1892. There is the largest Jewish cemetery in Europe. Izrael Poznanski donated the first 10.5 hectares of land towards the establishment of a new cemetery. The outbreak of a cholera epidemic in 1892 forced the Russian authorities to give the final go ahead to establish the new cemetery. Thus, the first people buried there in the winter of 1892 were approximately 700 cholera victims. In 1893, 1,139 people were buried at the new cemetery. From 1893 to 1896, the basic construction of the cemetery was completed under the supervision of well-known architect Adolf Zeligson. Today about 160 000 people are buried there. The Cemetery has an area of 39,6 hectare. Many people meritorious for Łódź were buried at this Cemetery. Their tombstones often show high class of stone and metal craftworks. Also here are buried victims of one of the most tragic events in the history of the mankind - Holocaust.
The New Cemetry in Lodz