The Uruski-Czetwertyński Palace in Warsaw, Poland
|Uruski-Czetwertyński Palace and the University Gate|
The Uruski-Czetwertyński Palace is located in Warsaw at Krakowskie Przedmieście (Cracow's Suburb) street no 30. This is one of the most impressive former magnate residences at the Royal Route. The road leads from the summer royal palace in Wilanów to the Royal Castle in the Warsaw Old Town.
|The Royal Route (Krakowskie Przedmieście street)|
The palace was built around in the Baroque style 1740 for Stanisław Poniatowski, father of Stanisław August, the future king of Poland. It was here that Stanisław August learnt he was elected monarch of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The palace changed hands several times. In 1843 it became the property of Seweryn Uruski. Uruski chose to demolish the palace and to erect a new building in the Renaissance architectural style. The construction work lasted from 1844 to 1847 under the direction Andrzej Gołoński. In the years 1893-1895, the palace was renovated and the new north outhouse was built. Next, the palace was the residency of Włodzimierz Czetwertynski and his descendants, until 1940.
|Uruski-Czetwertyński Palace. A view from the square in front of the Old University Library|
|Cartouche with the coat of arms Uruski family|
During World War II, the palace was destroyed on the inside by the German Army. After 1947, the palace became the property of the University of Warsaw. The reconstructed palace (1948-1951) was modified, namely without an entrance gate to its north. The southern wing of the palace was also changed, adapting the building to new tasks. Presently, the palace houses the Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies of the University of Warsaw.
You might also read other articles about beautiful places in Warsaw (click).
* * *
This post is linked at: