Old Town Hall of Wrocław
The Old Town Hall of Wrocław is one of the largest town halls in Poland. It stands at the center of the city’s Market Square and is one of the main landmarks of the city. Wrocław Town Hall is a fine example of bourgeois Gothic architecture. The building was developed over a period of about 250 years, from the end of 13th century to the middle of 16th century. The Old Town Hall's long history reflects developments that have taken place in the city since its initial construction. The structure and floor plan changed over this extended period in response to the changing needs of the city. The current form with ornaments on the Eastern and Southern facades dates from the late 15th. The Old Town Hall is famous for its astronomical clock from 1580 and the 66 metre high tower.
The building escaped relatively unscathed after World War II. After reconstruction work, in years 50th, it was re-opened as the Museum of Burgher Art. Tourists are allowed to see the splendid Gothic interiors of rooms such as the Burgher's Hall and the Great Hall, visit the Museum of City Art or sample fine beer at the famous cellar bar - Piwnica Świdnicka.
* * *