Churches in Zamość
The Cathedral (a former collegiate church until 1992) was founded by Jan Zamoyski and dedicated to Lord's Resurrection and St. Thomas the Apostle. It was built in 1587-1598 by an Italian architect Bernardo Morando and constitutes one of the most impressive sacral buildings in Poland. In the vault of the church, there are crypts with the ashes of 16 Zamość entailers and those of their families. Cathedral Bell Tower was built in the second half of the 18th century in the Baroque style . In the bell tower there are three historic bells.
|St. Catherine Church|
St. Catherine Church was built in the 1680s in the Baroque style in line with J. M. Link's design. Church was first dedicated to St. Peter from Alkantara and then in the 1920s the church became an academic church dedicated to St. Catherine. During World War II, "The Prussian Tribute", the famous Polish painting by Jan Matejko, was transferred secretly from Kraków and hidden in the vault of the church to protect it from the Nazis.
|St. Nicholas Church|
The Redemptorists' Church of St. Nicholas is the former Orthodox church built in 1618–1631 by Jan Jaroszewicz. The temple had a defensive purpose. The building has got some features typical of Moldavian Orthodox churches.
(Lern more: Wikipedia)