Posts

Showing posts from January, 2015

Malbork - the world's largest brick castle

Image
Malbork is a town in northern Poland in the Żuławy region (Vistula delta). There is located an impressive Medieval castle. This biggest brick castle in the world and the largest castle of the Gothic period is one of Europe's most imposing fortresses - "the largest pile of bricks north to Alps".
The castle in Malbork was built by the Teutonic Order after the conquest of Old Prussia. The work was started in 1274 on the southeastern bank of the river Nogat. The fortress was named Castle of Mary - Marienburg in German. In 1309 the castle and the city became the capital city of Teutonic Order's state. High Castle surrounded by moats and walls and became the office of Grand Masters and the order's highest officials. Middle Castle become house of lower rank brothers and guests. There was also a Great Refectory infirmary for older and ill brothers. In 14th and 15th century was build third segment - Lower Castle - armory, granary, storehouse, as well as St. Lawrence chap…

Palace and park of Kiernozia

Image
Kiernozia is a village located in the Lodz region, central Poland. Kiernozia was formerly a private town belonging to noble families. There is located a beautiful palace. Classicist, brick palace was built in the first half of the nineteenth century by Łączyński family. The residence is located in the center of a landscape park with many plant specimens and monumental trees. There is also a neglected pond.
Tadeusz Kosciuszko, Polish and American national hero, was a frequent guest of Łączyński family. To commemorate this event a small mound was built, which was destroyed by the German Nazis during the Second World War. After the war the mound was reconstructed.






You might also like other articles about most beautiful Polish castles and palaces (click)


ABC Wednesday

Synagogue in Zamość, Poland

Image
The Renaissance synagogue in the Zamość Old City is one of the most spectacular monuments of Jewish heritage in Poland. The first synagogue in Zamość was built in the 1590s as a wooden structure. In 1610 the current brick building was erected, taking eight years to complete. During the World War II the synagogue suffered major damage. The Nazis turned the interior into a carpenters’ workshop. Synagogue was rebuilt in the communist period and from 1958 until early in the 20th century the building served as a public library. Recently restored to the Polish Jewish community, the building was renovated. In addition to being available for prayer services, the restored main prayer hall of the synagogue is used for lectures and concerts. Currently next to the building of the synagogue is the former office of the community from the 18th century. Nearby there is a building of the former Mikveh renovated in the 19th century.
Today only a few Jews live in Zamość. In 1939 there were over 12,000 …

Churches in Zamość

Image
The Cathedral (a former collegiate church until 1992) was founded by Jan Zamoyski and dedicated to Lord's Resurrection and St. Thomas the Apostle. It was built in 1587-1598 by an Italian architect Bernardo Morando and constitutes one of the most impressive sacral buildings in Poland. In the vault of the church, there are crypts with the ashes of 16 Zamość entailers and those of their families. Cathedral Bell Tower was built in the second half of the 18th century in the Baroque style . In the bell tower there are three historic bells.

St. Catherine Church was built in the 1680s in the Baroque style in line with J. M. Link's design. The church was first dedicated to St. Peter from Alcantara and then in the 1920s, the church became an academic church dedicated to St. Catherine. During World War II, "The Prussian Tribute", the famous Polish painting by Jan Matejko, was transferred secretly from Kraków and hidden in the vault of the church to protect it from the Nazis.

T…

Afternoon walk through the streets of Zamość, Poland

Image

Gorce Mountains - from sunrise to sunset

Image
Linked to: Gorce Glades

Primošten

Image
Primošten is a one of the most beautiful town on the Adriatic coast, and tourist centre in Dalmacia, Croatia. The name Primošten is from Croatian word primostit, which mean connect with bridge. The village with small harbour and tourist centre lies at peninsula between bays Raduca and Primošten. Historical center of town is built on a hill and is dominated by the parish church of St. George which was built in 15th century close to the local graveyard from which a unique view spreads to the sea and the surroundings. In the bays are beautiful long beaches. The largest beach is called Raduča, and its smaller part, Mala Raduča, is voted one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in Croatia. Primošten is also famous for its huge and beautiful vineyards.


Zamość Fortress

Image
Construction of the Zamość Fortress was initiated by Chancellor and Hetman Jan Zamoyski in the end of 16th century. Upon completion of these fortifications in 1618, it was the most modern fortress of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. By taking advantage of the terrain and the network of rivers and wetlands, an irregular seven-sided structure was built which consisted of seven bastions with curtain walls connecting them. In order to maintain contact with the city, three richly decorated gates were built into the curtain walls called “Lubelska”, “Lwowska” and “Szczebrzeska”. In the early 19th century, a multi-level, brick “Nadszaniec” was built which was almost 100 metres long and had an inner moat of a width approximately 3 metres. Because of this, it became the most important defensive point of the fortress. Inside there were shooting galleries, numerous ramps for pulling guns and casements. The “Nadszaniec” had a defensive function, it was the barracks for the soldiers and the cas…

Great Market Square in Zamość

Image
The most prominent building in Zamość is the Town Hall, built at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. The façades were built in accordance with the Mannerist proportions, regular divisions and excessive architectural décor. The 18th century witnessed the construction of a guardroom and a fan-shaped double stairway that were built in front of the building and a slender dome with a lantern was added to the top of the Town Hall tower. The Town Hall stands at the foot of the Great Market Square regarded as one of the most beautiful 16th-century squares in Europe. The square is surrounded by a complex of arcaded houses that were built by the richest Zamość merchants. Today City reflects the cosmopolitanism of the Renaissance by displaying refurbished arcades, the flamboyant frames of the rooftops, statues set in the exterior walls, rows of Venetian columns and an array of colorful facades.
(Lern more: Wikipedia: Zamość



Linked to: Zamość - the ideal city & Zamość Fortress

Zamość - the ideal city

Image
Zamość is a city in southeastern Poland. The city was founded in 1580 by the Chancellor and Hetman (head of the army of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) Jan Zamoyski, on the trade route linking western and northern Europe with the Black Sea. 
Modelled on Italian trading cities, and built during the Baroque period by the architect Bernardo Morando, a native of Padua, Zamość remains a perfect example of a Renaissance town of the late 16th century, which retains its original layout and fortifications (Zamość Fortress), and a large number of buildings blending Italian and central European architectural traditions. Zamość is a unique and outstanding example of a Renaissance town, consistently designed and built in accordance with the Italian theories of the "ideal town", combining the functions of an urban ensemble, a residence, and a fortress. According to the conception of "the ideal city", such a town should be "good, beautiful and eternal". Massive wall…
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Recent Articles

See Also