St Anne's Chapel in the city of Pińczów, Poland
St Anne's Chapel in the city of Pińczów in Poland was designed by Santi Gucci and was financed by a local noble, Zygmunt Myszkowski (read more about Pińczów).
Italian architect Sante Gucci, were one of the most successful and fruitful artists of Renaissance. He had his workshop in Pińczów. Some of his most notable works are: the integral design and funerary monuments in the Sigismund's Chapel in the Wawel Cathedral in Kraków, the castle in Janowiec on the Vistula river, and the palace in Książ Wielki.
St Anne's Chapel was the first in Poland freestanding chapel dome with only a cult destination. The small temple was built in 1600, on the slopes of the St. Anne's Hill overlooking the town. The hill on which stands a chapel is located north of the city centre, opposite the castle hill. In the past, the chapel was surrounded by fortifications and was part of the fortification system of the Pińczów castle. The chapel is built from a local raw material - limestone (so-called "pinczak"). Most historical buildings in the city of Pińczów are building from this same raw material.
Rectangular in shape, the chapel is a distinctive example of mannerist architecture. Covered with a cupola, the chapel's porch is covered with its exact - yet smaller - copy. In the eighteenth century, the chapel was significantly destroyed. She lost the majority of equipment and four corner turrets, which dropped off. In 1783 it was allocated for demolition, but it survives until the renovation in 1851 and next in 1903.
Next to the chapel are stone statues of St. Paul St. Tekla and Michael the Archangel from the first half of the 19th century.
The St. Anne's Hill offers a beautiful and scenic view of the city of Pińczów and the Nida River valley. This is the best place to see amazing sunsets and sunrises in the Nida Riverside Region. The chapel is open only in July (St. Anne's fest).
You can also read other articles about city of Pinczów and Nida Riverside Region (Ponidzie Pińczowskie):