Churches in Pińczów, Poland
The first parish church was in Wierciszowo (a quarter of the city of Pińczów nowadays). In the thirties of the 15th century Bishop of Cracow, Zbigniew Oleśnicki founded a brick parish church in Pińczów. In 1449 it was erected Pauline.
Monastery and the parish church was incorporated into the newly established monastery. The parish church was rebuilt completely approx. 1642. The Paulines Monastery was closed in 1819.
The Church of St. John the Evangelist has three naves. At the south aisle, there is a Chapel of Angels from the beginning of the 17th century. The main altar was built approx. 1744., And nine side altars was created in the first half of the 18th century.
Today in the former Baroque monastery of the Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit the Regional Museum in Pinczów is located. The Museum's collections come from Ponidzie and document the traditions, history and culture of the region from the earliest times to the present day.
Church and monastery of the Reformers were founded in 1578 by the Bishop of Cracow Piotr Myszkowski and intended for collegiate (read more: Mirów - romantic quarter of the city of Pińczów, Poland). The monastery Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a late-Renaissance building, single nave. Square chapels of St. John of Nepomuk and the Lord Jesus, formerly St. Anne, covered with domes with lanterns, have been built on both sides of the aisle.
In the Church, as well as on its façade, one can see many coats of arms of the founder-Jastrzębiec. Behind the Baroque main altar, there is a monastery oratory. In one of the side altars, there is a miraculous image of Our Lady of Mirowo.
The monastery, whose door with the early Baroque portal lead to the cloisters, is a one storey building with a garden in the middle. The monastery holds a collection of wooden, seventeenth-century figures from Nativity plays. Inside there is also a sundial of 1723.
St Anne's Chapel was financed by a local noble, Zygmunt Myszkowski, and was designed by Santi Gucci and built in 1600, on the slopes of the St. Anne's Hill overlooking the town (read more: St Anne's Chapel in the city of Pińczów, Poland). The chapel is an example of mannerist architecture.
And finally, some photographic impressions from Pińczów...
You can also read other articles about the city of Pinczów and Nida Riverside Region (Ponidzie Pińczowskie):