The Partnach Gorge (German: Partnachklamm) is a deep gorge that has been incised by a mountain stream, the Partnach, in the Reintal valley near the Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Bavaria (Germany). The gorge is 702 metres long and, in places, over 80 metres deep.
The Partnach originates at the Reintalanger alp and is the natural discharge of the Schneeferner, a vestige of an ice-age glacier at the Zugspitz plateau. Partenkirchen, part of the town Garmisch-Partenkirchen, became its name from the river. The name Partnach consits of two words: the IndoGerman designation for passage, gateway: "portn" and the old High-German: "aha" (equal to "Ache") which means watercourse.
Since 1912 the gorge has been developed for tourists and can be visited all year round. The path through the gorge runs right next to the water. This is the path that was used by lumberjacks, hunters and rangers in the past. The gorge can be passed by an iron bridge situated above the river which has been costructed in 1914.