Jewish Cemetery in Grodzisk Mazowiecki, Poland
The Jewish cemetery in Grodzisk Mazowiecki, central Poland, was established in the 18th century. During World War II the Nazis devastated the cemetery, and the tombstones were used for construction works. In the days of 12-20 February 1941 the Jews taken away to Warsaw in the subsequent transports were sent to the death camp in Treblinka.
The devastation process of cemetery was continued also after the War. Restoration and reconstruction of the Jewish Cemetery in Grodzisk was made possible not until 1988. On February 27, 1996, the cemetery was entered in the Register of Historic Monuments.
The necropolis is located on a prolonged rectangular plot. What has survived until today are over 200 matzevot or their remnants. The tombstones date back to the turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Some of them also date back to the 1st half of the 19th century or World War II. The matzevot are made mainly of sand blocks, crowned with a half-round arch. The inscriptions are mainly in Hebrew. Typical of Jewish sepulchral art decorations representing candles and menorahs, hands putting money into donation boxes, holy books, trees, birds or lions, are carved at the crowns of the matzevot (Lern more: Virtual Stetl, The Jewish Cemetery of Grodzisk Mazowiecki, Poland).
Linked to: Jewish Cemetery in Łódź
More photos of the Jewish Cemetery in Grodzisk Mazowiecki: The Savours of the World