Malbork is a town in northern Poland in the Żuławy region (Vistula delta). There is located an impressive Medieval castle. This biggest brick castle in the world and the largest castle of the Gothic period is one of Europe's most imposing fortresses - "the largest pile of bricks north to Alps".
The castle in Malbork was built by the Teutonic Order after the conquest of Old Prussia. The work was started in 1274 on the southeastern bank of the river Nogat. The fortress was named Castle of Mary - Marienburg in German. In 1309 the castle and the city became the capital city of Teutonic Order's state. High Castle surrounded by moats and walls and became the office of Grand Masters and the order's highest officials. Middle Castle become house of lower rank brothers and guests. There was also a Great Refectory infirmary for older and ill brothers. In 14th and 15th century was build third segment - Lower Castle - armory, granary, storehouse, as well as St. Lawrence chap…
Saffron conspiracies (Crocus scepusiensis) (Polish: krokus spiski or szafran spiski) is a species in Family Iridaceae. The name of "Crocus" is derived from Greek word "kroke" (thread, floss). This beautiful violet-colored flower occurs in the Western Carpathians. In Poland crocus flower most often grows in the Tatra Mountains and also in the other mountains e.g. Żywiec Beskids (mountainsides of Pilsko and Wielka Racza), Gorce, Beskid Wyspowy, Small Beskid (Leskowiec). Sometimes we encounter white crocus - albino. Saffron conspiracies blooms usually around 2-3 weeks. It is strictly protected in Poland.
The Old Town of Poznań - a bit of history
The original settlement of Poznań was on the river island of Ostrów Tumski and dates from at least the 9th century. It was a site, where along with the development of Christianity Polish statehood was born (read more at: The capital city of Poznań). In the 13th century, there was erected a castle on the left bank of the river Warta and the new settlement was established. Poznań received city charter in 1253.
The Old Market Square is the central point of this medieval origin settlement. It was originally laid out in the 13th century, and many changes to architectural layout and style were made over the centuries. There is a group of buildings in the central part of the square, chief of which is the Old Town Hall. It is the city's main tourist attractions. It was built in the late 13th century and was rebuilt, after the great fire in Poznań in the 16th century. The former seat of the city council nowadays houses the Poznań History Museum. Th…
In the small town of Choroszcz, not far from Bialystok (northeastern Poland) is located a charming small palace. The palace was the summer residence of the crown hetman and castellan of Kraków, Jan Klemens Branicki (1689-1771), a powerful Polish aristocrat. The palace was built on an artificial island, which is surrounded by canals modelled after those at Versailles.
The construction of the Baroque residence at Choroszcz lasted from 1745 almost until Branicki's death in 1771. A fire destroyed it in 1915, and the palace was reconstructed only much later during the years 1961-1973, and then made into a Museum of Palace Interiors in Choroszcz - branch of the Museum of Podlasie in Bialystok.
The ground floor, where the Branicki family once had its quarters, and the first floor, where the guest rooms used to be, were rebuilt for use today as exhibition rooms, where one can see period furniture, for example, from Rococo to sets in the style of Louis XVI. The interiors are decorated wi…
Fortified churches in Transylvania
Romania is a beautiful and very interesting country. You can admire there magnificent scenery and a lot of splendid architectural monuments. Very interesting and picturesque architectural objects are fortified churches in Transylvania region. There are more than 100 of well preserved fortified churches from the 13th to 16th centuries.
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Villages with Fortified Churches in Transylvania are seven villages founded by the Transylvanian Saxons. They are characterised by the great variety of architectural styles. They are dominated by fortified churches and characterised by a specific settlement pattern that has been preserved since the late Middle Ages.
Fortified church in Viscri - UNESCO World Heritage Site
One of the most interesting Saxon fortified churches is located in the village of Viscri. The village is located in the centre of Romania, close to Sighisoara (40km). The name of the village comes from the German …
Mirów - former town - today is a quarter of city of Pińczów in Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, Poland (read more about Pińczów). Mirow was founded on July 1, 1592 by the Margrave Zygmund Gonzaga Myszkowski as New City Mirow. Myszkowski began the construction of the church, which was completed by his son Ferdinand after the death of Margrave.
In 1612 Mirow was incorporated into the neighboring city of Pińczów. At the turn of the 17th and 18th century, the Reformers monastery was founded next to the Mirów collegiate. Since 1906 in the part of the monastery buildings is the hospital located.
Largest tourist attractions of Mirów is the Renaissance church of Reformers, located at the former Mirów Marketplace. It is the one-nave construction built on a cruciform plan. There are two chapels on both sides of the aisle.
Next to the church is located Renaissance tenement house from the turn of the sixteenth and seventeenth century. The first owner of the house was probably the Calvinist printer…
The Holy Mount of Grabarka (Święta Góra Grabarka in Polish), eastern Poland, also known as the Mountain of Crosses, is considered to be the holiest location in the country Orthodox Christians.
It is the site of the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord and is home to the women's monastery of Ss. Marta and Maria. It is the traditional pilgrimage centre for Orthodox Christians. They arrive in large numbers especially on the 19th of August, the day of Transfiguration of Jesus.
The most prominent and well-known feature of Grabarka is the forest of crosses surrounding the Orthodox church, all brought to the Mount by pilgrims. Pilgrims have been bringing votive crosses to the hill ever since. They come in different forms and sizes, from small ones made of sticks, through bigger wooden crosses to few concrete ones. Some of them are already rotten, some brand new, often with epitaphs engraved in Cyrillic alphabet. All of them, however, were brought for personal intention by diseased…